- Pay attention to how much jewelry she wears on daily basis and on special occasions. Some girls like minimal jewelry in all cases except a formal event. Unless you know of something coming up that will require a formal outfit, you may want to stick with something that can be worn everyday.
- Pay attention to the type of jewelry she wears. Does she seem to prefer chunky, natural looking jewelry? Or does she tend to wear pieces that are girly and delicate?
- Make sure to keep the colors she wears in mind. If you think something in lime green would look great on her but you've never seen her wear the color, chances are that the item you give her won't get much use.
- Let her tell you what she likes. Ask her to point out jewelry that she likes or send you pictures of pieces she finds online. Pay attention to things she points out the in the store.
- Take her to pick it out herself. For our first dating anniversary, my now-husband took me shopping and told me to pick out whatever I wanted. I love to shop, so that was perfect for me. It also allowed him to be sure that I got something I loved (I did pick jewelry, of course!).
- Most importantly, don't let the process overwhelm you! Picking out jewelry doesn't have to be nearly as hard as it seems at first. Keep the recipient in mind while you're shopping and you'll be surprised at how easy it becomes.
Choosing a piece of jewelry to give as a gift is a difficult process. Jewelry is something that is very subjective and personal. Even if you know someone really well, deciding what piece of jewelry to give is not an easy task. Obviously, most all women like diamonds, but that isn't something that is practical for most budgets, or for every day wear. So how do you decide if you should buy your girlfriend/wife/sister/mother a modern necklace or a feminine pair of earrings? Here are a few hints -